Based on the Istanbul Declaration of the 2010 Meeting of the National Statistical Organisations (NSO), Member States of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation agreed to organise their annual meetings under the umbrella of OIC Statistical Commission which aims to create a platform for exchanging experiences and best practices among its members and to develop an effective statistical capacity at the OIC level. It was decided that the Statistical, Economic and Social Research and Training Centre for Islamic Countries (SESRIC) would act as the Secretariat of the Commission.
According to the Rules of Procedure adopted in the 8th Session of the OIC-StatCom, the Secretariat has the following duties:
- Prepare the provisional agenda for each Session in consultation with the Members of the Commission.
- Undertake all the organizational arrangements for convening the annual Sessions of the Commission.
- Prepare, disseminate and archive all the documents of the Commission.
- Prepare and communicate the reports and the resolutions of the annual Sessions of the Commission,
- Host and manage the official website of the Commission.